15 July, 2007

Way to Work



This is the view from the road to where I work. Don't worry, I stopped by the roadside to take the photo. Not while driving.

The building in the background is Menara Tun Mustapha or Tun Mustapha Tower. Named after a very important politician in Sabah, the late Tun Mustapha, the building houses Yayasan Sabah or Sabah Foundation. The building actually is a hanging structure, one of the few in the world. Basically, there is one big column in the middle and the floors hang from there. There are thirty storeys all together and there is a revolving restaurant on , @tmosphere. My friends say the atmosphere is good but the food so so. Haven't been there, so I can't say much.

Anyway, the reason I choose the photo is not to show that the drive to work is beautiful. It is, really. Imagine driving everyday with the sea on your left and a good view of Mount Kinabalu on your right. You get the picture, right.

The reason is because Yayasan Sabah (YS) a very important organisation in my life. Many years ago, YS sent me over to West Malaysia to study at one of the best boarding schools there. I grew a lot from the experience there. Sadly, I didn't get anymore 'help' from YS after I finished school although I did ok in my examination. Deep down, I still think there was another reason but it's a long story for another day. Anyway, I got 'help' in the form of a scholarship from the federal government, then studied for my first degree in the US. Then I worked for two Fortune 500 companies in Malaysia and overseas.

A few years back, I quit and went back to university, one of the best in the world and got my masters there. Now, I am trying to give back what I got from YS and the federal government by working in a public institution of higher learning. Its just my little contribution to the society.

No comments: