24 July, 2007

Words

The photo above is that of an arch, which has been in KK for as long as I remember. In the background of the photo are the Golden Screen Cinemas movie theatres. The are three movie halls, one small movie hall and two main movie halls, both of which have two-tier sittings, probably one of the few still remaining in Malaysia in this era of multiplex cinemas or cineplexes. I prefer the big old screen compared to the smaller ones. Anyway, coming back to the arch, I am puzzled actually what the slogan on it reads. The slogans are in three local languages, Kadazan, Malay and Mandarin. The Malay version, which is the only one I understand, says “Is Our Vision Together”. What Is? I don’t know.

In the foreground, you will notice the road sign. This is another one with a strange choice of words. The road is named “Jalan KK Bypass” or “KK Bypass Road”. Whoever thought of the name probably had unproductive day or was plainly uncreative. Anyway, that’s not the only one around KK. There are a few more that I have seen. And strangely, the authorities actually put up the road signs for these roads.

No comments: